HOKKAN HOLDINGS LIMITED

Corporate History

History of HOKKAN HOLDINGS

1921 (Taisho10) HOKKAI CAN WAREHOUSE CO.,LTD founded with 1 million yen in capital; headquarters in Otaru, Hokkaido
1927 (Showa 2) Purchased roll-forming automatic can manufacturing machines and can seamers from American Can Company
1934 (Showa 9) Tokyo branch office opened
1935 (Showa 10) Installed automatic milk can manufacturing machines for condensed milk
1941 (Showa 16) TOYO SEIKAN KAISHA, LTD newly formed by eight can manufacturers (former HOKKAI CAN WAREHOUSE CO.,LTD became the Otaru factory of TOYO SEIKAN)
1948 (Showa 23) Designated as an economically empowered concentrated company under the Excessive Economic Power Deconcentration Law
1950 (Showa 25) Based on a corporate restructuring plan, the Otaru factory and its accessory equipment separated from TOYO SEIKAN; HOKKAI CAN CO.,LTD established with 50 million yen in capital; headquarters in Tokyo; owned seven automatic can manufacturing lines; listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange
1955 (Showa 30) Established Hakodate factory; purchased new painting machines and sheet ovens for Otaru factories; listed on the Osaka Securities Exchange
1956 (Showa 31) Transferred headquarters to Marunouchi, Tokyo
1957 (Showa 32) Established the Canning Research Institute in Sapporo, Hokkaido
1959 (Showa 34) Technical cooperation began with Continental Can Co., Inc.
1960 (Showa 35) Construction completion of the Kushiro factory
1968 (Showa 43) Technical cooperation began with ALCOA and USM regarding easy-opening lids
1971 (Showa 46) Completion of the Iwatsuki factory and the Central Research Institute at the Iwatsuki factory; establishment of the Osaka branch office
1973 (Showa 48) Launched the manufacturing of drink cans at the Iwatsuki factory, in which expansion was completed
1976 (Showa 51) Establishment of the Hakodate branch office
1977 (Showa 52) Manufacturing of Tin-free steel seamed cans (HS cans) began at the Iwatsuki factory
1979 (Showa 54) Completion of the Tatebayashi factory (full-scale operation for manufacturing two-piece cans)
1981 (Showa 56) Manufacturing of welded cans at the Iwatsuki factory began; expanded Tatebayashi factory
1986 (Showa 61) Technical cooperation with a German company, Krupp AG; operation of the NPS manufacturing line began at Otaru factory
1989 (Heisei 1) Welded can manufacturing line at the Tatebayashi factory started operation; completion of the Chiyoda factory (began plastic bottle production)
1991 (Heisei 3) Held commemoration ceremony for the company’s 70th anniversary; completion of the SI plant (EO lids specialized line)
1993 (Heisei 5) Completion of the Shiga factory (two-piece can manufacturing line in operation)
1994 (Heisei 6) Installed crystal can manufacturing line at the Iwatsuki factory
1995 (Heisei 7) Newly installed crystal can manufacturing line at the Tatebayashi factory; expanded the Chiyoda factory (heat-resistant square bottle line) and the SI plant
1997 (Heisei 9) Expanded the Shiga factory and installed a production line for small-size PET bottles at the Chiyoda factory
1998 (Heisei 10) Installed a production line for small-size PET bottles at the Shiga factory
1999 (Heisei 11) Shiga factory, SI plant, Otaru factory, Iwatsuki factory, and Tatebayashi factory acquired ISO 9002 certification; technical division obtained ISO 9001 certification
2000 (Heisei 12) Chiyoda factory acquired ISO 9002 certification; production of MC cans started at the Iwatsuki factory; Shiga factory acquired ISO 14001 certification; production of ACTIS begun at Chiyoda factory
2001 (Heisei 13) Held commemoration ceremony for the company’s 80th anniversary
2002 (Heisei 14) Started MC can production at Tatebayashi factory
2003 (Heisei 15) Manufacturing of FP cans began at Tatebayashi and Shiga factories
2005 (Heisei 17) Transformed the form of the company by corporate divestiture into a pure holding company